The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Miserable January

I hate admitting it,  but I'm feeling rather miserable at the moment.  A combination of things is causing it, the chief one being that one of my closest friends died at Christmas and I am bereft.

It also doesn't help that my workroom isn't yet finished after having its new floor take so long to dry out - did I mention the constant rain we have been having?   What else, oh yes, I have changed from a Pc to a Mac, Wilfred my tabby is having a nervous breakdown due to all the upheaval lately and causing me grief, my car has been playing up and I have a persistent cold.

The reason I'm telling  you all this is that I'm not thinking very creatively just now and this includes thoughts on something to blog about.

Well when in doubt turn to dressers, looking at them always cheers me up!

This was how William Yeoward's dresser used to look - he has changed it since!
A stand back view of the above dresser - don't you just love his jumbo check on the walls?
A close up of the dresser below - should swap the picture around but am having trouble with this Mac!
Dresser at the Pottery Museum, Stoke on Trent to celebrate 25 years of Emma Bridgewater.

How about this?  Lovely Cornishware!
Kate Dyson's dresser - lovely collection of blue/white?

This gigantic dresser was put together for the Blue and White Exhibition at the Victoria Museum, Bath in 2008.

I feel better now!  Hope you enjoy them too?

11 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks so much for sharing these. I am moving soon and have decided to display all my transferware together in a hutch in my kitchen. These photos are just the look I am hoping to achieve - so inspiring. Not sure I have quite enough to pull it off but that gives me a chance to go shopping!

Susan Briscoe said...

Thanks for those lovely dresser photos. Makes me want to go and play with all my blue and white fabrics! January is often a bad time for creativity, but at least spring will be here soon.

Balsemien said...

Wow, very nice post!

Jan said...

I'm sorry your new year has started this way. January can sometimes be a cruel month.
I am so happy to find your blog this morning, clicking on a link on Inspired by Antique Quilts sidebar. I have been following you on Pinterest for quite a while and didn't know you had a blog. I always enjoy your EB pins. I have a few recent British event commemorative pieces but many of the more folky items you pin are not available in the US market. Lovely!

regan said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. How awful for you and their family. But remembering the good times you shared will always keep them with you.

The dressers, and the collections, are wonderful! They certainly are a lovely distraction! Thanks for sharing them, and I hope your days get a little bit brighter.

Angie Burrett said...

Hello Mary: When a close friend dies it leaves such an empty space and it can just seem so unfair. I lost my closest girlfriend way back in 1988 and she was only 36 - I still miss her and so often want to share life's ups and downs with her. But she lives on in my heart, and I am sure your friend will live on in your heart too.
The dressers are wonderful - all such fun - and make me want to go and rearrange mine - right now! Take care - spring is not too far away. x

Diane-crewe said...

this time of year is always difficult ... if only because of the lack of sun xx Hope you soon feel more cheerful... just keep looking st the wonderful dressers x

alibobbles said...

Sorry that you are having a sad time. The dressers are really beautiful, wish I had space for one!

Anonymous said...

The dressers are wonderful...not sure how you found such perfect pictures, but they rock. I need me some dressers...have scads of dishes of several "types". Thanks for the inspiration. Have been thinking of a new floor for part of the house, but it scares me, where to put all the stuff in those two rooms and closets while the work is in progress... I am realistic enough to know the work will get bogged down..... peeps should move house every 15 years, I am 13 years past move.

samplerlover said...

Oh what wonderful dressers. I have always wanted one. Nothing could be nicer. Blue and white china in a dresser. Aaaaahhhhhhh (that's a sigh of contentment).

Derrith said...

I just happened on your blog and I love it. Your pictures and projects are so great. I just became a follower! -Derrith