The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Friday 15 July 2016

Mary Lloyd - the quilting

As promised in my last post, this one is going into a bit more detail re the quilting methods and motifs.  I am sorry it has taken so long and do hope you haven't forgotten this wonderful quilt.

The quilt is large and almost square, measuring 261 x 264 cms. and as the quilting echoes the patchwork in the middle of the quilt, we who studied it, think that it would have been quilted on the patchwork side rather than on the reverse.


I have manipulated the original website image at the expense of the colour, in an attempt to show the quilting pattern more clearly and have heightened the contrast in the images I took myself to show some of the detailed quilted motifs.

In the main decorative part of the quilt which contains the central panel, surrounded by the leaves, bows and cornered by the four corner baskets, a large double circle filled with spirals is the main feature.  Inside this circle are leaves and berries, with the appliqued leaves outlined quilted, as are the border of triangles surrounding the central medallion.




 This very typical curved leave is quilted over the centre medallion -


 These are the outline leaves and filling motifs surrounding the leaves -


There is quite an area of cross hatching which isn't always present on earlier Welsh quilts, however I am wary of saying this as we really haven't that many to study to be definitive.

I am adding these other images in the hope that those of you who study Welsh quilting will gain inspiration from them.  I apologise for the quality of some, but I think they might be useful as you are still able to study the motifs.


You will see how intensive the quilting is, but I think that at the beginning there was simple plan and once the main areas were defined those were then filled in and surrounded by subsidiary motifs.







9 comments:

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sue said...

Wonderful quilt and quilting, Seeing the corner vases on the front I think these would look very good made in today's Dutch chintz fabric .
It's a lovely quilt.
Is it out on display now Mary now that it has such a following?

Susan Briscoe said...

Interesting point about the cross hatching and I also noted the rosette flowers on the crosshatched areas. This is similar to the Sidmouth Quilt. What with the general look of the two quilts and the fact that they even share the same centre panel, I am pretty sure Sidmouth is Welsh.

Cyndi said...

Lovely quilt and lovely information! I was interested in the spirals quilted in Photo #7 on the left side........not having a better idea, I recently quilted such a design in the center of a small Russian Sunflower and was not overly pleased with it. Now, after seeing them on this quilt, it will stay!

Annemieke said...

Thanks for sharing this quilt. I love seeing all the quilting in here. I'm interested in Welsh quilts too, visited the Welsh quilt museum once and have books about Welsh quilts. So I will be back here!

Annemieke said...

O I'm sorry I just found your blog today and realised after writing the comment above that you are the writer of one of my books😊
Groetjes
Annemieke

Annemieke said...

O I'm sorry I just found your blog today and realised after writing the comment above that you are the writer of one of my books😊
Groetjes
Annemieke

Annemieke said...

Thanks for sharing this quilt. I love seeing all the quilting in here. I'm interested in Welsh quilts too, visited the Welsh quilt museum once and have books about Welsh quilts. So I will be back here!

Jimena said...

Hello everyone my name Ximena Jimena from Cuba i want to use this medium to inform the world on how i got cured from Herpes & diabetes at first when i had symptoms back in 2014 i went for test and it came out positive i lost hope of getting a better relationship or marriage, everything changed when i met Dr Itua i contacted explained everything to him and he said he has the cure so i decided to order it from him, so i actually did after 2 weeks i went for test and i was negative i'm forever grateful to him.he can also cure all diseases
email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com Dr Itua can also bring back your ex lover and make him or she love more than ever.