The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Luscious Welsh quilting

 This is another of my favourite quilts from the Jen Jones Collection. It was made in Pembrokeshire in the late 19th century .  If you click the picture and zoom in you will see that the quilter has very carefully placed the urn of flowers over the central patchwork pieces -



Jen has kindly allowed me to use the images to illustrate a piece I am writing for the Winter edition of "The Quilter", the magazine of the Quilters' Guild of the British Isles and I thought you might like to see them too?

The reverse of the quilt isn't usually on display of course, but it could stand alone as a whole cloth, which I know many of you are interested in. I personally I am not keen on cross hatching, but it does fill a design without too much cudgelling of the brain and it is a good way of coping with a rectangle!  As as you can see from this close-up, the quilting is yummy!


3 comments:

Doniene said...

Lovely quilt!! The quilting is divine!! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Blessings

Borderline Quilter said...

This is beautiful, love the colours and simplicity of the piecing....but the back is my favorite....coz I too love wholecloths....Gorgeous!

Best Wishes
Kay on Scotland

Andrea said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures of that beautiful quilt! I especially like the way the rope patterns cross to form the corner squares (with hearts and a rose!) of the leaf/tulip border. What an interesting design idea!
Andrea in Germany