The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Thursday 29 December 2011

Georgian Patchwork coverlet on ebay

Every post needs a picture, so to fill that need I will show you my 2011 year mug and say a premature goodbye to this year and be first to wish to you a Good New Year in 2012.


 However, the subject of this post is a quilt on eBay (click here for details) which a friend has just drawn to my attention. I would have liked to have included pictures instead of redirecting you but I can't seem to download eBay pictures successfully. 

I had to fan myself at the astonishing price.  The seller obviously thinks that they have something very special and I wish them well, but I can't really think that anyone would actually pay that price!  

As you know I am a terrific fan of Georgian patchwork and I am interested in seeing the format of these now rare quilts.  The fabrics too are interesting and worth studying but when I sent these details to Bridget Long (an expert on British quilts of this period) she was doubtful of the claimed date of 1810.  Though she was studying pictures and not the actual quilt, she thought that some of the fabrics were perhaps made later and as you know a quilt is dated by its youngest fabric!

Changing the subject, I am on the waiting list for Pinterest but as yet have not been invited to join.  Do any of you participate and would be kind enough to send me an invitation?

6 comments:

Karmen said...

Hi Mary,
I have sent you a Pinterest invite. I enjoy the photos and links.
Have fun,
Karmen

Meredith said...

Thanks for the link. Have a happy new year. I think the quilt is neat to look at. That is an interesting price.

fabriquefantastique said...

Mary, I am not picking up the link to ebay...do you have a item #...would love to have a look.

fabriquefantastique said...

Oh.. I have it now, many thanks. Keep up the good work! and I hope 2012 will be very kind to us all, Jan

Little Welsh Quilts and other traditions said...

Karmen, Thank you so much for the invitation - now I have to figure it all out!

maureent said...

I have been trying to find an email address for you to tell you how pleased I am with my purchase of you ebook.

So I have resorted to adding a comment to another post in the hope you will read it!

Thank you for such an informative book - and I was pleased to recognise some of my fabrics in the pictures

Maureen
Sydney Australia