The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Sunday 8 January 2012

Portrait of a young woman.

Normally I have no trouble thinking of things to blog about, but since being ill over the festive season, my brain seems to have seized up and nothing seems interesting enough to write about.  Today, however, I have stirred  my stumps and as it is mild and not actually raining, I have ventured into the garden to take this picture of my latest acquisition.


I saw her on eBay and though I instantly fell for her, obviously no one else did, because I was the only bidder and she went for a very reasonable price.  This rarely happens to me, but I can't help but feel rather sorry for the seller, because I would have been prepared to pay more.  

Hasn't she got a rather serious expression? My first thought was that she might have been a maid servant because she doesn't look a very happy bunny, but servants rarely had their portraits painted because they were considered part of the furniture and were expected to keep working rather than sit around having their portraits painted. 

We shall never know - but isn't it intriguing - I do love portraits!  Maybe I will name her Ernestine?   I'm open to suggestions!

7 comments:

Shirley said...

She looks very sad and as she is in black maybe she is in mourning. I have no reason to know that except that it may be why she is portrayed so.

Diane-crewe said...

OH MY!! i saw that expression sooo many times when my daughter was a teenager!! Made me laugh to see it repeated!! My daughters name is Sally by the way...and now she smiles A LOT!! xx

Barb said...

You are right, very intriguing!

Andrea said...

To me this young lady looks strong willed and a little rebellious...the name Ernestine would fit!

Robin said...

I have a British ancestor whose name was Temperance Topping. I always like saying her name out loud, it has music to it.

Kitty Pearl said...

Whoever she is, I bet she was a good quilter.

Little Welsh Quilts and other traditions said...

Wow Robin - Temperance Topping - what a name to live up to!