The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Tuesday 25 September 2012

A design challenge for patchwork?

I came across this picture in my files -



Yes I know it's the Royal Wedding but put that on one side and look at the floor.  I meant to suggest at the time that if anyone was looking for inspiration for a Royal Wedding Quilt (and I am not) they need to go no further.  This is the newly restored medieval floor in Westminster Abbey known as the Cosmati Pavement.  Here is an even better view -


and here is what it would look like as a quilt -


What a challenge! 

If you would like to know more about this click here and for a BBC video.

3 comments:

amanda white said...

What a coincidence Mary. Just started a new pintarest board for mosaics this morning! Have stolen this for my first one! It is magnificent isnt it?

regan said...

At a recent quilt show in New Hampshire, there was an exhibit of quilts titled 'From Marble to Marvelous' and the quilters had used the tile floor from the Bristol Cathedral as their inspiration. Just portions of tile work were replicated; I can't imagine trying to create the entire floor in fabric. It would be spectacular, though! The Westminster Abbey floor is gorgeous.....I love the circles intertwining. It is certainly an inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

There is a Dutch quilter who made a quilt of this floor,years agoo.It's pretty amazing.x Nicky