The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Saturday 5 March 2011

A favourite Welsh Quilt

What makes a quilt a favourite quilt?  I suppose it is our emotional response to it and very often that is instantaneous and difficult to quantify.  It was love at first sight for me with this quilt -


SIZE 214 x 229 cms.

which I first saw hanging at the entrance of an exhibition of quilts from the Jen Jones Collection at St. Fagans: National History Museum a few years ago and it stopped me in my tracks.  In fact if I could choose just one quilt from Jen's collection, this would be the one!

It isn't made in the vibrant flannels or Paisleys that we usually think of as being typically Welsh.  Its colours are pale, almost delicate and it has spotted fabric which is always challenging to use in a quilt, but here the quilter has pulled it off!  It was made in Aberporth a coastal village in Ceridigion and Jen thinks it's early Victorian.  The quilting is quite wonderful -

 
I have actually made a "Little Welsh Quilt" version and was going to show it here but chickened out, because though I am quite pleased with my little quilt, it doesn't really bear comparison to this stunner, which will be in the next exhibition at the Centre entitled "Oh that Summer would Last Forever".  This begins on 12th March (see link for more details).
http://www.jen-jones.com/QuiltCentre/2011_Exhib.html






9 comments:

Nicky said...

I'm not surprised you fell in love with this quilt. I am surprised it is Victorian as the choice of fabrics looks quite modern to me but the quilting isn't. Thank you for showing this stunner!

Robin said...

What a lovely little quilt. I think the reason I am so intrigued with welsh quilting is because there is so much more going on than just the color placement. This quilt has a very soothing color plan. I'd love to see your version.

Monique said...

That is a absolutely beautiful quilt! Thank you for posting a photo. I can see why it's one of your favorites.

Anonymous said...

The fabrics aren't my usual style, but it's definitely growing on me, especially once I noticed the lovely shadowy effect with the sawtooth triangles. And as you say, the quilting is stunning. I would absolutely love to see the quilt you made. Stop fretting about how it compares, just because you took one quilt as inspiration doesn't mean yours is expected to be identical to it, and your work is always beautiful.

Taryn said...

What an unusual quilt! I don't envy the quilter working over all those stripes. I imagine her eyes wound up crossed when she finished.

regan said...

This is a lovely quilt....and the quilting is beautiful....wonderful designs!

I'm with the other gals....we would love to see your quilt! I personally love to see quilts made when inspired by other works.....and not to compare them in any way, except to discover what sparked their inspiration in the first place. Sometimes it's just one element of design, or the colors or fabrics used, but unless it was from a kit, no two will be alike, and the variations between the two are always intriguing.

Andrea said...

The quilting patterns are just beautiful! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing.

Appalachian Mercantile said...

WOW! Those are gorgeous! Love the quilting, too!

Blessings

Lorraine said...

Hi there, Just found your blog and what a treat it is, I too love Welsh Quilts,(and other old quilts too!) all kinds patched and whole cloth. I have some pictures of a few quilts which I use when giving talks to WI's and similar groups as a sample, I also show a whole cloth cushion with a traditional welsh design made many years ago at a workshop led by Sandi Lush. I have photos of a very old Welsh Log Cabin quilt ewhich is owned by friend of mine which is truly stunning tho sadly quite worn.
I'll keep dropping by and look forward to seeing your new book.
Lorraine