The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Sunday 23 October 2011

Visual Storytelling

Winter School in Visual Storytelling - this is the title for a selection of short craft courses at West Dean College, in West Sussex.  Janet Bolton is the tutor for the one on textiles and I'm sure you are aware of her very distinctive style?



The title "Visual Storytelling" certainly sparks my imagination, especially as the details came to me on the day that I was revisiting my research on the Darowen Coverlet, which is a visual story if ever there was one. I only wish I had more time to unravel it!



I can think of quite a few storytelling quilts, in fact they would make lots to write about on this blog!  Ed Larson immediately springs to mind.  I remember the quilts he used to design in the 80s which were featured in Quilters' Newsletter Magazine. I can't find any pictures of these, but this is a more recent one and another made at a class he took - I think it is by Alex Anderson -


There is a great deal of potential for story telling in quilts.  Some are easy to understand, as are the two above, but some are more subtle and need an explanation.  Food for thought?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome and unique crafts! J And R Tutors