The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Sunday 9 October 2011

Five Star Quilt made in Aberdare

I have so many favourite quilts that I want to share with you and can't believe that I haven't shown you this one before now!  If you are into Welsh quilts you will probably recognize it?


It was made by Sarah Lewis of Aberdare around 1875 and is one of two by this quilter in the Jen Jones Collection.  If you zoom in you will be able to see the wonderfully bold quilting on wool.

Aberdare was a major coal mining town situated at the head of the Cynon Valley, one of the major coal mining valleys in the South Wales coal field.  Indeed until quite recently this valley was known as the Aberdare Valley but now is named after the river Cynon which flows through it and joins the more famous river Taff at Abercynon.

The whole valley was extremely productive in the 19th and 20th century, but now all coal mining has gone along with its quilting tradition and the town of Aberdare has a very different aspect.  However, the upside is that it is now a cleaner and more pleasant place to live and only a few miles away from the Brecon Beacons National Park.


Jen kindly allowed Clare and I to include this stunning quilt in our exhibit of Welsh quilts at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham in 2006, so I was able to gaze at it throughout the 5 days of the Festival.  It was chosen because of its bold and striking appearance as we wanted to attract people to our exhibit.  We couldn't have chosen a better quilt!

I understand that some of you have had difficulty leaving a comment and reading other blogs it seems that  changing to " comment box" mode helps!  Let's hope so,  as I love having comments just so that I know you are reading this!

May I wish all in Canada a Happy Thanksgiving and all in the USA a Happy Columbus Day.  I was in Vermont on that day three years ago and it was simply wonderful!       

11 comments:

Liz said...

What a striking quilt, the quilting is just 'scrummy'! Love your blog. Best wishes, Liz.

Lynne said...

I really love this quilt and the quilting is beautiful - it has inspired me to keep practising.

Anonymous said...

Well Little Welsh, let's see how the comment changes work. I for one have about given up on trying to make comments....

Interesting always are your posts... love the quilts.

Bobbie said...

What size is the quilt. I am sure that it is large, but looks like it could be a little quilt. Love the quilting.

Andrea said...

What a beautiful and striking quilt! I love it's simplicity and it's clearness. Thank you for sharing!

Merilyn said...

I have long loved and admired Welsh quilts! Thanks for sharing this little gem, the quilting as always on these treasures is quite mind blowing!!!!!!

Little Welsh Quilts and other traditions said...

Sorry I don't know the measurements of this quilt but it is a bed sized one. Maybe if Hazel is reading this, she can help?

Radka said...

It is just beautiful! Thank you :)

Suzanne said...

Hi Mary, I loved reading about the history of the quilt~ wow, it is so well preserved! And a stunning quilt too~, I love the strong colors.

mamifleur said...

Merci Mary , I love your blog and
and the beautiful welsh quilts who I see ! Mamifleur

Little Welsh Quilts and other traditions said...

Hazel has confirmed that this quilt measures 6ft 9in x 6ft 5in
213 x 196 cms.