The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Sunday 25 May 2014

Three little Welsh Quilts

I came across this photograph in my files, it must have been taken one September judging by the garden?  Not sure which year though?


These three little quilts had been on exhibition and I was giving them an airing before storing them away in the quilt cupboard.

The cow quilt is my version of a wonderful folk art one belonging to Ron Simpson which is presently forming the central part of the current exhibition at the Welsh Quilt Centre in Lampeter.


and in the picture below, at the top, second from the left, is the original Ceredigion basket quilt which inspired my little basket quilt also on the line, together with a doll sized basket quilt from my book LITTLE WELSH QUILTS.  This  can be ordered from my publisher from the link at the side of this blog.  It can be downloaded in seconds from anywhere in the world and stored on your iPad or other tablet.  It's then just like a book, only a moving one as there are videos of me demonstrating my way of doing things, especially the way I mark out quilting patterns.



On the right hand side of the above picture is a Welsh wool version of Mariner's Compass blocks!  I have seen one of these before and have a picture somewhere, but can't find it at the moment.  However, if there are two surviving there must have been a few made?  Of course we use the name Mariner's Compass now, but this pattern is to be found in many early British quilts, so not new, just re-invented, given a name and marketed?


7 comments:

Radka said...

Your quilts are so beautiful :-)
xx

Sue said...

Lovely quilts Mary and I can't wait for my trip to Lampeter in July to see these beauties.

Mamifleur said...

Thank you Mary, always moving to see these beauties of the past. These quilts are really beautiful.

Susan Briscoe said...

Lovely little quilts of yours once again. The Ceredigion museum baskets quilt is an old favourite of mine. I think I saw it in the 1980s when I lived in Aberystwyth, but I might be imagining that and it might have been later on. The central quilt on the wall in the last photo - is it featured in 'Quilts of the British Isles'? I've seen it before and I know it is one of Jen's collection. Wish I could get down for this year's show, but don't know if I'll make it or not.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've posted before to say how much I love your book, Making Welsh Quilts, and how much I've learned from it. I've just finished a quilt which combines Welsh and Indian textile traditions, a baby quilt for a friend's daughter. You can see it here.

Robin said...

I meant to comment earlier but I really enjoy looking at all your quilts and journeys. I especially enjoy seeing the hand quilting in the first picture. The large scrolls really caught my attention and of course the color schemes are very appealing.

susanhal said...

the quilting on your 3 little quilts is awesome ! I mean it , i am in awe. I have only just graduated from straight lines to curly ones and i cannot think how long it will take me to try those lovely sweeping coils and waves. I like all the quilts but the favourite has to be the "cow" quilt, i would like to own that one !
that last photograph you've put up is just so beautiful, the colours and patterns ! ah, it makes my heart do a little flip flop. Loverly !!!