The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Friday 11 November 2011

Sissinghurst

I first visited Sissinghurst one boiling hot day at the end of May, many years ago now and was bowled over by it.

The Tower in Summer

I absolutely detest hot weather and usually avoid going out in it, but we were on holiday so I had to make the best of it.  It says a lot for Sissinghurst that neither the heat, nor the fact that the garden was full of visitors, stopped me from dashing around it like a woman possessed.  My husband took a more leisurely approach and refused to climb the tower, but I did along with 24 others (only 25 are allowed up at a time) and the view and seeing Vita's writing room was worth negotiating the rather precarious steps.

Vita's Writing Room the Tower

The Cottage Garden

This garden is very famous and of course I had heard reports from friends and seen it on television, but absolutely nothing prepares you for the beauty of it. After one visit I couldn't wait to return and so we travelled back in the August. Now August isn't the best time in gardens here, but Sissinghurst is one of those gardens that always pleases and never looks past it's best.  There is always something to see and marvel at and pick up ideas from.

One of the lovely brick walls and a distant view of the Lutyens bench
The Lime Walk in Spring - fabulous to visit when the rest of the garden is sleeping
More of the wonderful Spring Border
View through archways to the Tower
View from the Tower looking down at the White Garden

In the White Garden
The Tower from the White Garden

Though it is a difficult journey from Wales, since that first memorable visit and my second follow up visit, I have been again and again and still love it - it is just magical.  Those of you who haven't been, put it on your list of places to visit.  I am an avid garden visitor and I can't think of a better one - what other garden has a fairytale Tudor tower in it?

Since Vita Sackville-West and Harold Nicholson died it has been in the care of the National Trust who maintain it extremely well and I hope these pictures give you a flavour of its magic.  I didn't take these wonderful pictures - they are from a  presentation by Dave Parker - if you would like to see lots more the link is -http://www.invectis.co.uk/sissing/sstwrl.htm 

2 comments:

Quilt it and Dotty www.quilt-it.nl said...

You can not believ this but I went there during our mid-term-holiday last October! It was even in autumn breathtaking and we ate fallen apples from the trees.
O, England is such a lovely country. Go and read my blog who I met in Engeland!!!

Jan said...

Oh, my goodness - I am adding this to my list of must-see places! Loved seeing your photos; thanks!