The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Tuesday 28 February 2012

Visiting the Tokyo Quilt Show

Six years ago in January I visited the Tokyo Quilt Show.  It was so exciting visiting Japan as I had long admired the quilts made there and I loved the whole experience even though it was bitterly cold and Tokyo had its first snow in six years!.

The show was mind blowing.  They have about 250 thousand visitors and it is opened by one of the Royal Family and has an ongoing live TV show covering all aspects of the show.  There were so many things to absorb it took three visits and then I'm sure I missed lots.

One of the things I most enjoyed were the famous quilters' displays - here is one from the latest show this January which featured rooms of quilt artists.  This is Keiko Goke and her very colourful work -




This is such a good idea.  I just loved looking at the work of all these clever quilters and having a chance to meet them and try a talk to them.  It was easily the best part of the show for me and I wish other big shows would copy the idea!  Many do have famous quilters' galleries but I prefer this more informal approach.

The year I was there is was styled workrooms which, though they were obviously contrived, were extremely decorative and enjoyable to view and did give a glimpse into the life of the quilt artist and what inspires them.

Of course it does take up a lot of space but then the Tokyo Dome, which is a baseball venue, is more than big enough to cope!

This picture is from this year's event - I don't know the ladies, but check out the masks!

This will give you some idea of the venue - we all sat in the tiered seats when we wanted a rest or to eat our lunch.  A wonderful experience!

3 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

looks great... and always somewhere to sit!! Got to be good xx

amanda white said...

What wonderful things, Mary.
What a treat!
Now off to do some googling of that lady's work....

Annabelle said...

How wonderful. I just love the flower shop - what a great idea to pinch. xx