The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Monday 4 April 2011

Returning home


Visiting New York for the first time was exciting.  As our taxi entered central Manhattan I felt I had been there before - it reminded me of Glasgow!  My travelling companions agreed, so it wasn't just me being fanciful, because I tend to compare every city to Glasgow as it's a city I am extremely fond of and familiar with, as I lived there in my teens and twenties. 

Now when I check on Google, I find that this similarity is well known and that Glasgow has been a stand in for New York in quite a few TV programmes and films.  They share a grid system of wide streets and very large stone buildings, a combination which you don't see in other cities.




Of course we did a lot of touristy things, visiting Rockefeller Plaza, people watching in Central Park and viewing the city from the Top of the Rock.  All very exciting but as the song says - "it's very nice to go travelling but it's oh so nice to come home" and home here in the UK is looking very good just at the moment -  Spring has definitely sprung!


Flying the Atlantic to view an exhibition in New York was an expensive indulgence which I thoroughly enjoyed but which I will probably never repeat - but oh, it's certainly an experience to savour.

 

4 comments:

Pippa Moss - Welsh Quilts said...

New York is mt favorite city - there is so much to see, I wused to work near Wall Street during summers as a university student. Very exciting. It sounds like a fabulous exhibition. Pippa ps did I notice a red and white Welsh strippy??

Little Welsh Quilts and other traditions said...

There were some strippy quilts, three I think? None were quilted with Welsh patterns as far as I could see.

Radka said...

Thank you for sharing, Mary :))

Anonymous said...

The exhibit you saw was historic... not just the 650 red/white, but the way they were hung - never done before but no doubt will be jumping off place for many shows to come. So I have read every thing I can find on this and even up graded my iphone so I could down load app !! SBG ..... and yet in my heart there will always be that piece missing of BEING there in flesh.... so lucky you.... the trip will be paid off one day and you will have the memories forever.....